Thursday, September 11, 2008

Darn Cream Puffs.....

Basic puff recipe:
1 cup water 1/2 cup butter
1 tsp. sugar 1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup sifted flour 4 eggs
Heat water, butter, sugar and salt to a full boil in large pan. Add flour all at once. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until mixture forms a thick, smooth ball that leaves the sides of pan clean, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition with a wooden spoon or electric hand mixer until paste is shinny and smooth. Shape and bake 400 for 40 minutes.
Filling:
2 small pkg. instant pudding (French Vanilla)
1 can Eagle Brand milk
1 small Cool Whip
Make pudding using eagle brand as part of milk. When ready to fill fold in Cool Whip.

ODE TO BEST FRIENDS
I wouldn’t even have this Darn Cream Puff recipe if it wasn’t for my best friend Linda. We have been friends for about 27 years and 22 of those years we have lived in different states. She has remained my friend through thick and thin…. Nick swearing at her….Tom hitting her….etc etc. Our lives have paralleled each others through kids, grandkids, drama and more drama. We always wonder what the next 5 years will bring and how we could write a book called “As the Stomach Turns”. Thanks Linda for being such a Great Best Friend!
Nick's favorite cake:
PUMPKIN ROLL
For one roll. 8 to 10 servings, you will need:
3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2/3 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ginger
2 tsp cinnamon
Filling recipe:
Beat together 1 pkg. (8 oz.) soft cream cheese and 4 T butter or margarine. Stir in 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla, blending until smooth.
PREPARATION:
1- In a large bowl, combine eggs and sugar, beating well. Add pumpkin, mixing until blended.
2- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, spices and salt. Add to egg mixture, mixing well.
3- Spread batter into a greased and waxed-paper lined 10-by-15 inch jelly-roll pan.
4- Bake at 375 fo 15 minutes. Remove from pan.
5- Cool for 15 minutes. Place cake on clean tea towel. Cool for 10 minutes longer.
6- From 10 inch side, roll cake up in towel. Set aside.
7- Meanwhile, prepare filling.
8- Unroll cake and place on plastic wrap. Evenly spread filling over cake. Roll up cake. Cover with plastic wrap.
9- Place cake, seam-side down and chill for at least 2 hours.
10-When serving, cut cake in even slices. Garnish with mint leaves and/or orange slices, if desired. Great with sliced strawberries over the filling and than rolled back up.

2 comments:

Shannon & Ryan said...

Hey, I thought those cream puffs were Damn Cream Puffs...hmmm. LOVE your blog, LOVE that you have one. Now if we can just convince my parents to break down and start one, too. Let's work on that, shall we?
Thank you so much for your comment! I will definitely put you on my list of bloggies--so glad that we can keep in touch like this. I was just remembering the other day how we used to write letters to each other while I was in college. That was such a lift to me. I always looked forward to those. Maybe we'll have to strike up being pen-pals again :). Say hello to everyone for me.
Love ya,
Shan

~Janell~ said...

My silly mom and her reciepes that you easyily get addicted to!!! Cream Puffs Mmmmm!! Okay so I am not going to go home and make them but I will dream of them for a minute!! LOL. Awesome that you have a blog!! I am not the best at keeping in touch but I do well at avoiding my work and messing on the internet at 4:45 daily!! I still don't understand the blog thing that much but I am glad that you have one, now we can keep in touch and share ideas on handling naughty children!! :)